If you’re looking for a unique way to display photos in your home, try using canvas wall prints. These prints are made by photo printing an image onto a high-quality cotton canvas. The canvas is then hand-stretched over a lightweight wooden frame, turning your photo into a work of art. Canvas prints come in a wide variety of sizes from 8×10 all the way to 36×36.
To transform your photos into an eye-catching display, large canvas prints are a wonderful choice. Read on to learn all about how to choose a canvas print that will look great with your home decor.
Canvas Sizes | How To Hang Prints | Gallery Wall Layout Ideas
When you’re creating your custom large canvas prints, one of the first things you’ll want to decide on is the size of your print. When you’re choosing a canvas size, be sure to consider the size of your wall and how many photos you want to include in your collage. Listed below are all of the canvas sizes and options available to choose from.
Large Canvas Prints
- 16×16: This square-shaped print is perfect for a large portrait or a photo collage. It will look beautiful hanging above a dresser or your bed, and it would also work well as part of a gallery wall.
- 16×20: A 16×20 canvas print can be hung horizontally or vertically, making it good for both landscape photos and tall family portraits. It would work well hanging above a desk in an office or as part of a stairway gallery wall.
- 20×30: This long, thin canvas wall print is also good for portraits and landscapes, and it can also be used for a collage of family photos. If you create a collage, consider putting your family’s name or a quote in the center of the print to help break up the photos.
Extra Large Canvas Prints
- 24×36: If you’re looking for a photo canvas print that will work well as the focal point in a picture wall, this print is a good choice for you. Pair this print with smaller art prints and pieces of home decor to bring balance into your gallery wall.
- 30×40: Use this long print to display one of your favorite landscape photos. Or, hang it vertically and use it to showcase a photo of a tall building. For example, if you have a photo of the Eiffel Tower that you love, this would be a good print size for you.
- 36×36: This extra-large canvas print is sure to wow any guests who visit your house. Create a large collage with a unique layout and some fun quotes, or blow up one of your all-time favorite portraits.
How To Hang Canvas Prints
You’ve chosen your canvas print size, and now you’re ready to hang your custom wall art. Large and extra-large canvas prints are lightweight, making it easy to maneuver them and hang them on the wall.
To help you get started, here are the steps you’ll need to take to hang your canvas prints:
- Gather Your Materials. Gather all of the materials you’ll need, including a pencil, tape measure, screwdriver, hammer, spirit level, and wall protector pads, which you can attach to the back of your canvas to protect your wall from scratches. Also, decide what you want to use to attach your canvas to the wall. There are a few different materials you can use, including sawtooth brackets, medium-sized nails, and j-hooks.
- Decide Where to Hang Your Canvas Print. Decide where you want to hang your canvas print, and then clean the wall with a damp cloth. Then, mark the place you’re going to hang the canvas with a pencil. For a balanced look, hang your canvas with its midpoint about 56 to 60 inches above the ground. If you’re hanging your canvas print above a piece of furniture, hang it about eight to 10 inches above the furniture.
- Hang Your Prints. Hammer your nails or j-hooks into the wall. For a large format canvas print, you’ll most likely want to use two medium-sized nails or two j-hooks. Make sure they’re perfectly aligned to ensure that your canvas doesn’t hang crookedly. Hang up your canvas, and then use a spirit level to check that it’s hanging straight.
- Use a Sawtooth Bracket for Added Stability. If you’d like more stability, you can also attach a sawtooth bracket to the back of your canvas. Measure the top of your canvas and mark the center point. Then, place the sawtooth bracket in the center of your canvas, and screw on each side of the bracket. Attach a nail to the wall with a hammer, and hang the sawtooth bracket from the nail.
Gallery Wall Layout Ideas
Large canvas prints are a great addition to a gallery wall. These large photo prints would work well as the focal point in a big gallery wall in a living room. Or, you could create a small gallery wall featuring just two or three canvas prints.
If you’re looking to create a unique gallery wall with your personalized wall art, these tips will help you:
Choose Your Layout
Choose between horizontal or vertical canvas prints. Vertical large canvas prints work well in a room with tall ceilings. Horizontal prints would fit in well in the space above a desk or a fireplace mantel. Be sure to carefully measure the space before you order your canvas prints.
Use Different-Sized Prints
Pair your large canvas prints with a variety of prints in different sizes and mediums. Try pairing your large canvas with a hanging canvas print that features photos or a quote. You could also include framed digital photos in your gallery wall. For a uniform look, consider using the same-colored frames for your high-resolution photos and canvas prints.
Pick a Theme
Decide on a theme for your gallery wall. Do you want to use a series of family photos, or would you like to use landscape pictures? Choosing a theme will help you plan out the wall art you’re going to use in your gallery wall.
Plan Your Layout
Plan out your layout before you start hanging photos. Place your photos and art prints on the floor, and arrange them until you have a layout that works for you. Start with your largest, focal point pieces, and place your smaller pieces around them. You could choose to go for an asymmetrical layout featuring large and small prints. Or, if you’re creating a gallery wall in your stairway, a diagonal layout could work well for you.
Pair Your Gallery Wall With Home Decor
Choose pieces for your gallery wall that pair well with personalized home decor. For instance, if you have monochrome furniture in your living room, try creating matching black-and-white canvas prints. Or, choose art prints in complementary colors to your furniture.
If you’re looking for the perfect way to display one of your favorite portraits or a collage of pictures, try a large canvas art print. And if you’d like to order more large-format pictures, check out how to print large photos.
A large canvas print looks stunning both hanging on its own and as part of a gallery wall. You can also get creative and make a collage featuring tons of your favorite photos. If you’d like to make your own canvas print creation, check out all the different large canvas print sizes available, and begin designing your beautiful print.