- In this opportunity, we will tell you all you need to know about the English Toy Terrier Black and Tan, also known as Miniature English Terrier.
- English Toy Terrier: Origins and History
- English Toy Terrier: Physical Characteristics
- English Toy Terrier: Health and Feeding
- English Toy Terrier: Temperament
- English Toy Terrier: Price, Breeders, and Puppies for Sale
Training Sensitivity to strangers Affection for family Suitable for first-time owners Ease of grooming Energy level
In this opportunity, we will tell you all you need to know about the English Toy Terrier Black and Tan, also known as Miniature English Terrier.
Today we will talk about all the amazing characteristics of the English Toy Terrier, a little English dog; we will try to tell you everything you need to know about it. Let’s analyze its history and the standard of this adorable dog breed.
English Toy Terrier: Origins and History
The English Toy Terrier Black and Tan, obviously has ancient English origins. According to some dog experts, this little British dog’s ancestor is the Manchester Terrier, and we can easily detect their similarities by their physical characteristics.
Since the beginning of the 19th century, the English Toy Terrier was very famous in England, during this time it was one of the most popular dogs in the noble houses. Nowadays, this dog breed is endangered, in fact in England, the rest of Europe and the World, the number of specimens has dropped dangerously.
Its small size is the result of hard and precise selection work, because men wanted a dog breed capable of hunting mice and that was also miniature-sized to improve its esthetic value, literally an English Toy.
English Toy Terrier: Physical Characteristics
The Toy Terrier is a very small-sized dog, some people call it Miniature English Terrier, and it has a slim but solid body structure. It is perfectly proportioned and naturally elegant. The height of a male adult can be 11 inches (30 cm.) and weigh 8 lb (3.6 kg). Its back is straight, but it slightly arches from the kidneys to the tail; the chest is slim, elevated and the ribcage is circular-shaped.
- The neck is quite arched, long and with a harmonious line.
- The legs are long; the bone structure is well-defined and thin. It has light muscles that cover its body and gives it an elegant stand. It keeps its tail low, it is wide on the base and then stretches on the point.
- The head is long, narrow and cuneiform, and the cheeks are not very muscled.
- The nose is small and black-colored.
- The eyes are dark-colored, generally black without any light shadows in the iris. They are shiny, small-sized, almond-shaped and sidelong.
- The ears are two convex triangles positioned very high on the head; they are straight and point towards each other.
- The coat is shiny, short and thick; it is very soft and compact, nearly impenetrable.
- The official color of the standard is black and tan. The shade of black is very deep, without any shades or highlights; and the tan-colored parts are very light.
English Toy Terrier: Health and Feeding
As for the English Toy Terrier’s health, it is important to be extra careful with its ears, because it has a tendency to have otitis.
The feeding is a primary subject for this dog breed; it must be of excellent quality and properly elaborated; also the amount of food has to be very precise because this dog is prone to obesity and overweight, and since it has light bone structure, these conditions could lead to more serious problems.
English Toy Terrier: Temperament
The English Toy Terrier Black and Tan, is called “Toy” not only because it is extremely small-sized, but also because it is a toy in every way. It has an excellent relationship with children, it loves to play with them showing happiness and affection, and it is never aggressive.
You should keep in mind that it is very important to teach children how to treat this little dog; it is very small and delicate. The Toy Terrier has a tender and affectionate relationship with its family, in general is a cheerful playmate. Like every small-sized dog, it has a lot of energy, and it needs to unwind; if you take it to the park to run every day it will help to keep its mental and physical state healthy.
We can say it is a friendly and affectionate dog, but also it is very impulsive and courageous; this stubbornness makes it an excellent alarm dog. Maybe it will not be the greatest guardian dog, but certainly it will alert you of every unfamiliar noise it hears by barking.
A healthy English Toy Terrier can live up to 14 years. Along its whole life it will always be willing to play and cuddle with its family. Its lively and active temperament needs to be guided with a firm, coherent and non-violent education and training.
English Toy Terrier: Price, Breeders, and Puppies for Sale
Do you see yourself with an English Toy Terrier? It is like a little mouse in constant movement; curious but not reckless, it knows perfectly the limits of its body size; it hardly gets in any trouble, and it is very happy outdoors, playing with children or hunting small rodents.
In the US and the UK there are some breeding establishments that raise this small English friend, but with a little patience you can also find it in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, India and South Africa. The price of a English Toy Terrier puppy is not different from the rest of its Terriers “cousins”; it can cost around 900-1700 dollars, 800-1400 English pounds.
Now that we have mentioned the most important aspects, you can go to your new four-legged friend, who is certainly waiting for you.